AL-QurAIsH (THe QureAIsH)
This sūrah of four verses was revealed in Makkah. It takes its name from the word al-Quraysh (the name of the tribe living then in Makkah) in its first verse. It mentions God’s important favors upon them. As God defended and protected them against foreign assaults, making Makkah a secure land, He also fed them against hunger. Because of the existence of the Ka’bah, pilgrims came to Makkah, and the Makkan people received respect from other tribes. This respect increased after the event of the Elephant mentioned in the previous sūrah. The trade caravans they dispatched to Syria in winter,and to Yemen in summer traveled in security.
1. (At least) for (God’s constant) favor of concord and security to the Quraysh,
2. Their concord and security in their winter and summer journeys,
3. Let them worship the Lord of this House (the Ka‘bah),
4. who has provided them with food against hunger, and made them safe from fear. 1
1. The verse shows the acceptance of Abraham’s prayer: And (remember) once Abraham prayed: “My Lord! Make this (untilled valley) a land of security, and provide its people with the produce of earth, such of them as believe in God and the Last day.” He (his Lord) answered: “(I will bestow provision upon both believers and unbelievers. But) whoever is thankless and disbelieves, I will provide for him to enjoy himself for a short while, then I will compel him to the punishment of the Fire – how evil a destination to arrive at!” (2:126)